Chair: Sharon Brennan, PhD
The NYSPA Disaster Resource Network, which is affiliated with the APA Disaster Response Network, was formed to assist: A) victims and their families, B) front-line intervention agencies (rescue, police, fire, etc.), and C) other secondary victims, as well as the general public, who may be involved in natural, accidental or man-made (war) crises and disasters.
NYSPA's DISASTER RESOURCE NETWORK GOALS
- Establish an on-line database of NYSPA DRN members that identifies their expertise, interests, experience, and geographic location.
- Provide DRN training opportunities for our members via workshops, online courses, and links to relevant trauma, PTSD, and other conferences and courses.
- Develop a NYSPA State-wide team of DRN leaders in each NY region.
- Foster viable partnerships with the American Psychological Association's DRN and with the Red Cross.
- Develop a web-based resource center with articles and publications by our members and others that will be helpful to members and to the public.
- Engage our members in sharing their expertise and experiences with each other via teleconference calls and other venues, such as member webcasts and informal gatherings.
- Provide DRN-related psychological workshops in corporations, schools, and community groups, and partner with NYSPA divisions and regions in giving these programs.
- Partner with other NYSPA committees, such as the Social Media Committee, to disseminate helpful, psychologically relevant information to the public.
- Weave into our programs and mission themes of psychological heartiness and understanding related to living with anxiety, loss, uncertainty, and the importance of relational and communal attachments in this new age of differential patterns of terrorism.
Click here to complete an application to join the Disaster Resource Network (DRN)