New York State Psychological Association members receive valuable professional and personal benefits. We strive to update and expand benefits regularly.
Members receive discounts that assist with business development:
- assistance with insurance billing questions
- health and dental insurance
- legal consultation
- advertising for job vacancies
- credit card processing options
- FREE referral service
Ongoing Advocacy Efforts
NYSPA's Legislative Committee seeks enactment of legislation favorable to psychology and to block legislative initiatives unfavorable to the profession.
Federal Advocacy Coordinators keep on top of national news and legislation.
Psychologists for Legislative Action in New York (PLANY) is the only nonpartisan political action committee formed and governed by psychologists for the sole purpose of advancing our profession's political agenda in New York.
NYSPA's Annual Lobby Day brings NYSPA members together to learn about and become involved in the legislative process.Members visit and talk withlegislators topromote their support on issues facing psychologists.
Benefits For Your Practice
- NYSPA Referral Service refers persons seeking help to psychologists, based on geographic area, specialization and other preferences. Licensed NYSPA members may now join for free by selecting the "Create/Edit Referral Service Profile" link from the member menu.
- NYSPA Colleague Assistance Program serves psychologists and the public by offering educational programs for the prevention and remediation of impairment among psychologists.
- 20% discount on all packages listed on NYSPA's Career Center for online job advertising and recruitment needs.
- Affiliate Programs: Discounts on products and services.
- Health Insurance: Low-cost health insurance options for sole proprietors, employers and groups through our affiliation with JRC Agency. They can be reached at (855) 456-1610.
- Supplemental Insurance: When you’re sick or hurt and can't work - AFLAC Insurance can help. Discounts are available on Critical Illness Insurance, Hospitalization Insurance, and Accident Insurance. To learn more about Critical Illness Insurance, watch this 5-minute video www.webprez.com/4122/39. Contact Helen Altman-Felsher at 203-445-1467 or
or visit www.chooseaflac.com/NYSPA
- Member Legal Advice: offered by Kern Augustine Conroy & Schoppmann, P.C. www.drlaw.com. NYSPA members are entitled to have their legal question addressed at no cost and for the ability to obtain more extensive consultation services members can join the firm’s Psychologist Advocacy Program®, which provides experienced legal counsel to psychologists who face investigation by state and/or federal authorities for such issues as malpractice, sexual misconduct/harassment, billing disputes, impairment and all other allegations which are not covered by malpractice insurance.
- Strategies for Long Term Care is pleased to provide NYSPA members and their families with discounted rates for Long Term Care Insurance. Strategies for Long Term Care has specialized in long term care planning for over 15 years and works with all of the top-rated insurance companies. To learn more, please visit our website at: www.strategies4ltc.com/nyspa.
- The Friday Flash, NYSPA's weekly e-newsletter, provides up-to-date information on current events, upcoming programs, and much more, delivered right to your inbox.
- The Notebook, our bi-monthly newsletter, provides the latest news about what is happening in NYSPA, the state, and even national issues relevant to the profession and what you want to know.
- Legistics keeps you abreast of state and federal legislative initiatives related to psychology.
- NYS Psychologist, our peer-reviewed journal, provides member opportunities for publishing scholarly articles.
- nyspa.org provides important breaking news, current events, membership information and much more, 24 hours a day!
- NYSPA's Listserve permits easy communication on any and all issues our members want to reach out to one another about. Subscription to the list is a great way to keep in touch with daily issues in the field of psychology, as well as to network with colleagues.
- NYSPA Online Membership Directory enables you to stay in touch with colleagues of similar interests.
- NYSPA's Annual Convention, sponsored by the NYSPA Foundation, provides educational and networking opportunities for all members in a resort setting.
- NYSPA Workshops offered by risk management experts, attorneys and psychologists with expertise in a variety of topics provide psychologists up to date information on ethical, legal and professional issues. NYSPA is an approved provider of continuing education for psychologists by the American Psychological Association.
- Resources for Early Career Psychologists help those starting out in the profession or others exploring new fields of interest in psychology gather vital information, providing tools to build your practice and invaluable networking opportunities to reach all your professional goals.
- NYSPA's Internship Fair, held annually, helps psychology students navigate the internship process by providing essential information and bringing prospective interns together with internship directors to bring our future psychologists closer to success!
- New York State Psychological Association of Graduate Students (NYSPAGS), our award-winning student organization, sponsors ongoing workshops on a variety of issues that will help you become a better-informed student.